Saturday 22 August 2015

A Devotional on Contentment and Thankfulness

So I've decided to try writing up some devotionals-maybe be able to share some of what God shows to me in my Bible reading and conversations with godly friends with each of you. Today I wanted to share some thoughts on contentment and thankfulness.

Two of my key verses were in Philippians 4 when I thought of this subject, which has been on my heart lately in a certain way. So, I decided to read the whole chapter of Philippians 4, and found some more verses and the ever-important context! I invite you to read on and join me and God reveals some blessings in His word!

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Philippians 4:11 (KJV-just to note, not to spark contention, I only use the KJV for personal beliefs that it is the best translation from the original languages for me to use in personal and public worship). I cannot honestly say that I live this verse. Paul clearly states in this verse that he was in want (for more context, read the chapter or just verse 12). However, doesn't this verse give a powerful challenge to be content despite circumstances? For me it does! Some of you may know this, but I have some specific things in my life that I REALLY wish were different. But then I look back and see that God has used these circumstances to mold and make me into the girl that He wants me to be. I've become stronger and more compassionate-but it has been painful and continues to be painful. I don't live in a dream family (probably none of you would say that either-but in mine an important person is missing in my life, so it does have some challenges, you could say), and some things hurt me. But lately God has been showing me that I need to be thankful for these "thorns" and that I need to count even what seems like cursings as blessings. That's hard, but two other verses in this chapter leap out (and these are both special verses to me!)-"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me," (Phil. 4:13) and "Rejoice in the LORD always: and again I say, Rejoice," (Phil. 4:4). If you feel overwhelmed at the thought of being content and thankful in your circumstances, trust me, I understand! It seems too big of a job, too hard, too lengthy, too emotional, too (dare I say) unselfish. How do you even DO something like that? God gives a great clue to me in Philippians 4:6-"Be careful for nothing; but in prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." Yes-PRAYER!!! You know, "whisper a prayer in the morning, whisper a prayer at noon, whisper a prayer in the evening to keep your heart in tune". Perhaps when we feel ourselves struggling with contentment and thankfulness, we simply need to whisper a prayer. I've had someone give me that advice the other day in an e-mail, and I'm trying it (for other reasons, but prayer is like a cure-all for all spiritual ills and ails!). Yep, I believe that we could all use a bit more prayer and a little less self-pity. (I'm talking to myself most of all.) It'll be hard, but I have one closing verse-"But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus," found in Phil. 4:19. God will supply us with contentment and thankfulness when we run low. Praise God!

I hope that that devotional was a blessing to you, one Christian to another.
See you soon for more blessings!
Indi Raine
Phil. 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment